Monday, 15 October
At 11:30p on Sunday night, mom and I boarded the Mavi Tren (Blue Train) for the trip back to İzmir. The countryside was hidden by the pitch-black cover of night, so we asked the steward to make up our beds and called it a night not long after we left the Eskişehir train station. Once the new day dawned, however, we watched olive groves, vineyards, post-harvest fields, and cities and towns — big and small — stream by as the train clickety-clacked its way down the rails.
Post-harvest fields are colored a warm golden hue by the early morning sunshine.
Despite the 2½-hour delay arriving in İzmir — which is par for the course and came as no surprise to us — I’m glad we made the sleeper train part of our travel plans. If nothing else, it brought back memories of the many overnight train trips I made when I was studying at the University of Ankara back in the late 1970s!
More memories with mom. Just love it!
ReplyDeleteAw, that looks so fairy tale... just love the Ayyildiz. Come back soon!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a good train ride too! Turkey is on our list of places to visit one day. It's always nice when you have family to visit along the way.
ReplyDeleteKevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com
I love the sound of the train, and having a sleeper is the best. Although I did discover that I need to wear my ship bracelets on trains as well. Looking forward to more from you when you get caught up.
ReplyDelete