Friday, 12 October
Today, mom and I ventured outside the city of Kütahya but stayed within the province by the same name. Our destination was Aizanoi, an ancient Phrygian city that eventually became part of the Roman Empire in 133 BC. We arrived to fog veiling the site, but it didn't take long for the sun to come out and the skies to turn blue.The Temple of Zeus dates back to the second century AD.
What an amazing trip you are on. Gorgeous photos. I am having a wonderful time traveling along with you.
ReplyDeleteHard to imagine anything that old. What history!
ReplyDeleteDon't you wonder how they were able to construct such edifices way back then? How did they make those columns? I wonder...
ReplyDeleteAh, the ancient structures...hammered laboriously from our good Earth’s metamorphic rock, one exhausting mallet-blow at a time.
ReplyDeleteRather like ironing curtains, at which I have been drudging away since before they built that acroterium… (or so it feels to my wrists ;)
Marvelous site, can’t wait for the full story! Continue with the fun.
Looks you and your mom are having a wonderful time together. Thanks for sharing some of your magnificent spots. Enjoy your special time with your mom!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea until I traveled to Turkey in 2008 that there are probably more ruins from this time period than anyplace else. It was an amazing surprise and I am looking forward to seeing more.
ReplyDeleteJust beautiful! The fog can sometimes be a bonus instead of an annoyance!
ReplyDelete