Teaser: Mask Museum

Tuesday, 9 October

Located in a restored three-story Levantine house on a side street in Alsancak Çarşısı (Alsancak Shopping Arcade) is the İzmir Maske Müzesi (Mask Museum).  Amongst the masks on display at this year-old boutique museum are those of Southeast Asian, African, and Anatolian origin.  As well, there is a small collection of death masks.

The masks that I found of most interest, however, were the Erdoğan Aşıcı masks, carved from squid skulls, a fragile yet soft medium that lends itself well to being worked with sharp tools.

Framed in wood, an Aşıcı mask carved from the skull bone of a squid.

Visiting the small museum requires only a small investment in time.  I thought it was worth the 4TL admission ($2.20 at the time of this writing).

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I could get into all those masks, but that's just me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have read your teasers first, Erin, they are great! At least you got in a photo or two. Like you, I will have to wait until I return to get things all cleaned up and pretty, and like you I have also been fairly frustrated with access and software. It has definitely been a learning process. Waving to you from the same side of the pond~~~~~

    ReplyDelete