Tuesday, 3 July
The anticipation of exploring new-to-us destinations more often than not overrides the inconveniences associated with air travel these days. 99% of the time everything goes smoothly, and we arrive at our destination raring to go. Then there is that 1% of the time when one thing after another goes wrong, and we’re cursing air travel and wishing our motorhome could take us everywhere we want to go.
I will say this, though. None of our problems was of Delta's doing. The blame, in this case, lies first with Mother Nature; and second, with kısmet!
The first leg to Atlanta is a piece of cake; can’t say the same about the second leg to Quito!
We had a mid-day flight from Dulles International (IAD) to Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL). The cab we’d scheduled, picked us up at 9:30a. An hour later, passports confirmed against the information I had entered during online check-in and two checked bags dropped off, we were through security and at our gate, eating our healthy snacks.
No, we don’t travel light!
The two suitcases are actually our camera bags; we carry those on.
our Camelbak hydration bags are doing double duty as daypacks/personal items on this trip.
The morning passenger rush over, dropping bags off at the Delta counter is quick and easy.
according to the board, Our 12:15p flight is on time; but the equipment has yet to arrive.
The Airbus A319 that was to whisk us to ATL arrived at the gate shortly before 11:30a. Boarding was painless and we were wheels-up shortly after the scheduled departure time of 12:15p.
Our aisle-aisle seats in row 19 were nothing special, but we can’t complain since we had not been willing to pay extra for more legroom on this 1 hour and 15 minute flight. Mui had an empty seat between him and the young lady in the window seat, so he could spread out a bit. Considering she started talking to him non-stop before she was even in her seat, he later confided that he would have gladly exchanged the space to spread out for a ‘buffer body’ in that middle seat ;-)
Once on the ground at ATL, we took the underground train to the international terminal. Again, quick and easy. Landing nearly 30 minutes ahead of schedule meant a longer wait for our next flight, but we had plenty to entertain us, including some three-dimensional wall art featuring figures of passengers traveling through the airport. The extra time also came in handy for processing photos to post my RIP Lonesome George entry to the blog.
A stuffed hyena, a bear post, an elephant-foot stool, and ivory carvings are amongst
items confiscated from passengers returning to the US from overseas trips.
Plastic Bathing Beauty, 2004 | Rusty Nail Cocktail Dress, 2001 |
It was during our wait at ATL that our travel day started going downhill. At the risk of keeping you on tenterhooks — sneaky, I know — I’m going to leave that portion of our travel day for another post.
O.K. we'll wait to hear of your travails in travel.
ReplyDeletenice to see your smiling faces!..I am sure the next post there won't be any smiling going on!
ReplyDelete[via Email]
ReplyDeleteNo time to comment proper. Groovy dress!
I used to be one of "those" people who talked on airplanes, back in the day when it was all so new and exciting, maybe 30 years ago! Now I value the quiet time, and except for crying babies, don't often get one of the "talkers". Things seem to have changed a lot for flying as well, and only rarely do I hear the non stop talkers holding court on the entire airplane! Folks seem a lot more subdued and plugged into their own worlds now. Lucky Mui!
ReplyDeleteO.K.A.Y.!! Nails sewn onto a dress may be recycling but it sure seems a little weird to me!
ReplyDeleteI always worry about the constant talker and start reading a book as soon as I sit down. When it's close to landing time, I will open a conversation. Sometimes I'm sorry I didn't earlier when they turn out to be interesting.
ReplyDeleteMui was reading a newspaper when she showed up; didn't work as a deterrent :-))) He offered her a part of it later and quiet ensued for about 15 mins. :-))))
Delete