Life Goes On

Tuesday, 17 August: Part III

Life goes on no matter what happens … and today was no exception.

On one side of the creek a cub killing; on the other side, bears fishing. Did these bears have any idea what had taken place in the mudflats? That question went through my mind as we sat watching them running after the salmon coming in on the evening tide. Certainly none of them came over to check out the commotion when Triplet Sow was chasing after the cubs or when the two sows were fighting. They’re curious animals, so I can only assume that their own instinct for survival — to feed while the opportunity to do so was at hand — overrode everything else.

Their day went on as usual … and so did ours; though I’d hesitate to categorize our day as usual. We were, after all, sitting creekside with the bears; nothing “usual” about that.

Ahhh! A good scratch … and ooops! caught red handed.
(or should that be red “pawed”

Left: some bears prefer to stand to see the salmon.
Right: pooped! running after salmon is not easy.

The group from the other boat gets a thrill …
(that’s the same bear as the one on the right above)

… as do we.
(L to R: solo photographer, lindsay, & Eberhard)

Triplet Family

Can we have our dinner here?

Instead of bringing our afternoon ashore to a close with another “The End” photo (I do have several to pick and choose from), I’ll leave you with something different. I would have taken out my wide angle lens, but we were already in shin-deep water, wading out to the skiff. Oh well!

half a rainbow is better than none!

I wonder what Geographic Harbor has in store for us tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment