Wrapping Up Turkey 2016

Saturday, 1 October 2016
Alsancak — İzmİr, Turkey
Temps: Hi 84F (29C) / Lo 52F (11C)

The week between the end of our cruise and tomorrow — our day of departure from Turkey — was but a series of fleeting days.  Let’s see if I can do a quick recap.

[The camera didn’t see the light of day, so I’ve included in this post a few historic photos of the city, which I photographed earlier in the trip from a privacy panel around a construction site.]

İzmir - mid-1960s

The green circular space in this mid-1960’s photo of İzmİr is Kültür Park, the site
of the annual international fair, which has been going strong for 85 years.

Much of Mui’s time was spent trying to settle matters relating to his mother’s estate.  With his sister also in İzmir for a brief visit, we thought things would go smoothly.  They didn’t.  The major glitch they encountered was missing property documentation from the Ankara and Eskişehir municipalities.  Mui flew to Ankara on Monday for an overnight stay and got at least some of the required documents.  Işıl will take care of the rest in Eskişehir.  She’s on her way even as I write this … we saw her off at the train station a few hours ago.

While Mui was off doing his thing, mom and I were finishing up the last of our sewing projects.  Aylin will be the beneficiary of the pants we made.  I guess we all forgot that pattern sizes are nothing like actual clothing sizes.  Oh well … as long as someone gets use out of our efforts.

Mustafa Bey Caddesi

Dr Mustafa Enver Bey Caddesİ … way back when.  This is the street on which mom and
Aylin still live … it looks nothing like this image taken by Cemal Yalkiş.  I meant to get a
current-day photo from this same vantage point, but it didn’t happen … maybe next year.

We took advantage of our last week with the family for several activities that included food in one way or another.  Mom hosted Işıl for dinner one night … Işıl reciprocated by inviting us to her Alsancak apartment for tea one afternoon … Mui and I treated everyone to breakfast at B’ready, our new favorite eatery, and also to lunch at Hunkçu.  Last but not least, we enjoyed a lovely farewell dinner at Veli Usta, our favorite seafood restaurant in Alsancak, and toasted to our safe arrival home … and our return to Turkey next year.

And that’s a wrap for Turkey 2016.  Tomorrow we begin our three-leg air journey back to the US.

© 2004-2016 Two to Travel.  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED by ERIN ERKUN.

3 comments:

  1. Food and family go together. As I write this, my son and daughter-in-law are with Jimmy and me this afternoon, snoozing on the couch actually. Dinner of lasagna roll-ups is ready to pop in the oven ... I bet the aroma from that will wake them up! To coin a phrase, it's a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, Erin, now what will you wear? Hopefully you found something appropriate for the ports that do not allow tight fitting pants for women. As for Nickie's lasagna roll-ups in the last comment, I have been the lucky recipient of those delightful little wonders...yummy. Glad I found this post, have no idea how it missed my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word for you, Sue ... shalwars (baggy pants) ... picked up a few while I was in Turkey ... fingers crossed they will work.

    ReplyDelete