Happy Anniversary … Or Not

Monday, 4 July (PART II)

We stopped giving each other gifts for special occasions years ago. No birthday gifts, no Christmas gifts, and no anniversary gifts. Instead, we put the money aside and gave ourselves a “big trip gift” for milestone occasions.

Our Antarctic voyage several years ago was a gift for our 25th anniversary. An adventure to celebrate an adventure, if you will. To boot, Mui got to celebrate the beginning of his second half-century at Port Lockroy while we were down there.

We went to Peru to celebrate my special birthday. I hoped to enjoy sunrise at Machu Picchu on that auspicious occasion. While the sunrise didn’t cooperate, I did get serenaded at the Sun Gate at Machu Picchu by a group of travelers who didn’t know me from Adam. (Thank you, Mui.) I also got a brownie birthday cake at the Inkaterra Hotel that night (sans any serenading, thank goodness).

When it came time to plan a gift to ourselves for 30 years of marriage, we didn’t have to think too hard. It seemed only appropriate that we do another expedition voyage — this time to the Arctic. I don’t know if it was an auk, a black-legged kittiwake, or an Arctic tern that spilled the beans about the reason for booking the voyage, but a little bird passed the information along to the crew on Silver Explorer. (Thanks, Cindy!)

So tonight, following an excellent meal with good company, we returned to our stateroom to find the door open. Seeing as how it was nearly 11:00p, we were astonished that Joel and Alain were not done with the turndown service. When we got closer, this is what we found …

Confession is good for the soul — our anniversary isn’t until November!!! In my own defense, I didn’t tell Cindy that we were celebrating our anniversary. Rather, I said that the trip was a gift to ourselves. In any event, right date or wrong, it’s the thought that counts. We appreciate the effort put forth by the crew and staff of Silver Explorer — though in an embarrassed sort of way.

And here’s the really funny part. Just hours before, we’d been joking about the lack of towel animals on Silversea. Well, we certainly got them in spades tonight.

Check out the bunny; that’s supposed to be Mui giving me a tinfoil rose.
I thought it was supposed to be lilies for 30 years of togetherness,
but I appreciate the rose just the same.

5 comments:

  1. what a bee-utiful surprise!!..even if it was a tad early!!..one you will never forget!!!..happy early anniversary!..it is our 30th near the end of this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Early Anniversary from me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous old geezers.
    You've both held up well... what with the rigors, the hardship, the agony of Arctic expedition! The Explorers of years gone yore would have been... amused :)
    Four words apply.
    Big.
    Squishy.
    Titty.
    Babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Çok hoooṣ...bu kadar erken olunca da tam sürpriz olmuṣtur...bizden de ṣimdiden nice 30 yıllar dilekleri. -- SIS

    (Translation: "How nice ... and since it was so early, it must have been a real surprise ... early 30-year wishes from us too.")

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is just so much fun! I love the towel animals, but certainly wouldn't think they would be part of an Arctic expedition! I have waited for days to find out what the surprise was, and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete